Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cinco de Mayo!!!!


May is my favorite month not only because it's my birthday month, but it also includes Cinco de Mayo!! Cinco de Mayo is just like our 4th of July but for Mexico, basically just another reason to get together with friends to eat and drink! There is no better meal to eat on Cinco de Mayo than fish taco's!
  Living in San Diego has spoiled me when it comes to amazing and authentic Mexican food. My absolute favorite thing to do out there was to go down to the beach, park myself at a local spot called Southbeach and order up the best fish taco's around!! This also included multiple Dos Equis which I highly recommend you get to accompany this meal (the lager not the amber). Now that I have moved back to the mid-west the authentic Mexican restaurants are few and far between so I have been trying multiple ways to re-create my favorite meal! So far this is the best I have come up with. A quick, refreshing, and colorful fish taco that will have your friends and family coming back for more!
 There are two salsa's on this dish and you need them both here's how to make them:

Corn Salsa:                                                                     
4 ears fresh corn on the cob still in the husk
1 red bell pepper- diced
1 cup fresh cilantro - rough chopped
juice of 4 limes
Put your oven on Broil and have the oven rack set in the middle not to high.

First clean and husk your corn. On a foil lined baking sheet lay your corn still on the cob and place in the oven. You want to roast your corn, the kernels will start to brown and that is what you want. Once I see the browning start I turn my corn so that each side gets roasted evenly. This is a pretty quick process so keep an eye on your corn. When your corn has a nice caramel color take out of the oven and let cool. In the meantime dice your red bell pepper and chop your cilantro and place in a bowl. When your corn has cooled cut the corn off the cob like so ...

Just run your knife down each side until the cob is totally cleaned. Add your corn to the red pepper and cilantro mixture and then add your lime juice. Stir and refrigerate over night. This will allow the flavors to really develop. It doesn't sound like much but the sweetness of the roasted corn with the tart lime juice and the crisp red pepper is all you need!

Salsa Verde:
 9 Tomatillo's husked and cleaned                                     
1 jalapeno
1 bunch cilantro
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup water
salt



Husk your tomatillo's and rinse them. You can find tomatillo's in any local grocery store these days in the produce section next to all the tomato's. They will have a green husks around them and when you peel the husk off they will be sticky so be sure to rinse them well.  Quarter your tomatillo's and put them in a blender along with the rest of your ingredients. I always halve my jalapeno and I only remove half of the seeds. I like my salsa verde with a little kick! Just do a pinch of salt. Blend your ingredients until smooth and that's it! Fresh salsa verde.

For the fish I usually use Mahi. It's a mild white fish and it's perfect for this dish. I can always find it in the frozen seafood section and the fish is always individually wrapped so you can use exactly what you need. Just thaw your fish, place in a baking dish and season with salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice. I use the juice from about 2 lemons. Sometimes I add Ancho chile seasoning for a little spice. Bake your fish at 350 for about 25 min until your fish is cooked through. You could also pan sear the fish.
I like to make my own flour tortilla's but store bought is just fine. Make sure to heat your tortillas before you serve them. Just use a flat skillet or any good saute pan and heat your tortillas about 2 min on each side. I top my taco's with my two salsa's, Mexican crema (sour cream is fine, add a little lemon juice to it), and a couple cilantro sprigs. Then serve with lime wedges and fresh slices of avocado's!

Enjoy and happy Cinco de Mayo!!!!


Tips:
Any white flaky fish will work in this recipe as well as shrimp. If you are not a seafood lover you can use flank steak or chicken.


Happy Eatings Everyone,
Krystal

1 comment:

  1. This sounds awesome. We love fish tacos, so I will definitely try these recipes. Roasted corn is so good; I usually do mine on the grill but I'm going to try it in the oven now.

    ReplyDelete