Friday, April 27, 2012

Quick Weeknight Side Dish

Having 2 young boys always keeps me on my toes. They are going at 110% from the moment they awake to the moment they crash out at night. My oldest Riley has recently become obsessed with the character Indiana Jones.  Here is a picture of us just the other night playing a game called: Indiana Jones Treasure Hunt with bad guy Spiderman/ Hide n Seek and jump out and shoot mommy until she plays dead and we laugh.
As you can see we are all dressed up as specific characters that Riley wanted us to play. On a side note my son Riley has been wearing his outfit for over 2 weeks now. The only time he is not dressed like that is when I make him put on clean clothes to go to school, which he takes off immediately when he gets home and puts his outfit right back on! With all the excitement going on in our household whether it's treasure hunting, playing indoor baseball (a real favorite of mine!), drawing maps, or just drawing on my walls, couch, and kitchen cabinets (my 2 year old) sometimes I don't always have a full on meal planned out for dinner. So when in doubt go to the homemade baked sweet potato fries....
These sweet potato fries are a hit in my house, my kids love them, they are quick and easy to make and they are good for you!


Here's how I make them:

Pre-bake your oven to 425

2 whole sweet potato's
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbs Chinese five spice
Kosher salt

Peel your sweet potato's and cut horizontally down the center. Lay your potato's cut side down and slice lengthwise. You want thick cuts so about 1/2 inch slices like so.



Next lay each slice flat and slice again down the center..
 

Depending on how large your sweet potato's were sometimes I will cut the fries in half, but you don't want them to be to uniform looking. I love the big thick cuts and the rustic look of the homemade fries. After you are done slicing up your fries place them in a mixing bowl and add your vegetable oil. I use about 1/4 of a cup you need enough to coat all your fries. Then add your Chinese five spice and salt and toss. You want each fry to have an even coat of spice and salt so toss well.
Place your fries on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. I always flip my fries over after 10 minutes then again after 15 minutes. The smaller fries can burn so keep an eye on them but I like mine a little crisp. That's it a quick delicious and healthy side that you and your kids will love!

Happy Eatings!
Krystal

2 comments:

  1. that looks yum. definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Will deinitely try that one!
      Happy birthday Krystal! Hope it's a good one!

      Delete