Sunday, September 1, 2013

Mastering the Art of my life....



As I sit here on a Sunday afternoon doing laundry, folding laundry, and cleaning bathrooms the movie Julie & Julia came on. Maybe you have seen it or maybe you haven't, but this movie actually means something to me. It's about Julia Childs and a young professional woman named Julie. The movie goes back and forth between the 2 women's lives. One taken in present time which is Julie who is a young professional woman that is unhappy in her job and releases stress by cooking, the other story taken in the past about Julia Childs life and how she became...well Julia Childs the chef.
Both stories have an underlying message that is the same, one that I totally relate to as many women/men do. The question we all ask ourselves "what do I want to do with my life?".
In the story of Julia Childs life she was in government like her husband. They traveled all over the world and ended up in France. There only her husband worked and she found herself bored. She kept thinking of things she liked to do but nothing was what she really wanted to do. She finally found Le Cordon Bleu the French cooking school and that was it for her. For the present day New Yorker Julie, she was working a 9-5 job and about to turn 30. So she decided to start a blog about how she would learn to cook by cooking her way through Julia Childs cook book Mastering the Art of French Cooking. After about 3 months of blogging about her experiences she was the 3rd most popular blog and got a huge write up in the New York Times. Which basically led to the making of this movie I am blogging about. (it was based on a true story)
I wish things were that easy. I am not saying these ladies had it easy, like most of us they were lost. I mean your a kid and you think when I grow up I am going to do exactly what I want to do. Well kudos to those of you who did, but for many of us it does not come that easy. I am a 32 year old mother of two, a wife, a homemaker, a bill payer, a housekeeper, and a sales professional. I love to cook and want to write about it and teach others how to do it and I want to cook on T.V. . I KNOW what I want to do. It's just how the hell do you get there? People say work hard, well I do work hard, they say don't give up, I never give up. I have tried out for the Food Network 4 times, I tried out for Masterchef once and made it, but only to be sent home for not causing enough drama.

The true issue is how do you do it all????

How do you get there and still pay your bills and take care of your family. Do you just go for it and quit your salaried job to go work in a kitchen to learn from a chef and build from there?
Well, I did that. It was exactly what anyone who wants to cook for a living should do. As long as you have no kids and a mortgage to pay.
This is not a blog about me complaining, even though it kind of sounds like it. It's about what inspires us and how to stay inspired throughout your life. So many things get in the way or just deter us from our dreams. I always told myself I wouldn't be that mom who tells her kids "Mommy gave up her dreams when she had you, you were enough". I'm sorry but that's a bunch of bull. I love my kids and I would do anything for them, but that doesn't mean I have to give up on myself. On the other hand being a mother and being married I feel I have to constantly reinvent myself. It's easy to let all those little strings take priority over number one. It's a balancing act that I am still trying learn.

So I will continue to work, blog, make custom cakes, and most importantly COOK until I get to exactly where I want to be.
To everyone else out there, everyday is an opportunity to take back who you are and become who you want to be....
As for myself, I will continuously watch this movie to stay inspired and remind myself it's never to late. Also I always tend to make such a delicious meal when it's on!

1 comment:

  1. To echo this: When I was a kid I never said I wanted to make less money now than I did in 2007 while doing more work in a state that treats teachers very poorly. But I also never said I can't wait to have a gorgeous, brilliant wife and two beautiful healthy kids either.
    So it evens out:-)

    ReplyDelete