Friday, April 6, 2012

Hello everyone!!! Happy Easter Weekend!!! It has been longer than I had expected it to be since my last post. Running around after 2 kids, cooking, grocery shopping, catering, grocery shopping, baking, grocery shopping, and doing all that with one vehicle since my car decided it needed a new timing belt. Probably from all the trips to the grocery store!!!! My days just got away from me. Not to worry though I have been cooking up a storm in my kitchen and I have some great things to share with you all, or just with my mom and sister since they might be the only 2 people that read this! Last post I said I would go over soups and stocks, well we definitely will be going over soup! I did make a great stock with many of tips and even a video to go along with it, but that will have to wait for my next post!! This post is all about Easter and I have three fabulous dishes that will be great with brunch or dinner!
    All the dishes have something in common ASPARAGUS! Asparagus is a great source of folic acid, potassium, and vitamins B6, A, and C. The best months to buy asparagus is April through June!
     The first recipe I made was asparagus soup! I have actually never made this soup at home before but come to find out it is a quick and easy soup to make and so delicious!!! Here's how I made it:
Asparagus soup with basil and Gorgonzola:
2 bunches Asparagus
2 shallots diced
4 leeks diced (whites only)
2 cloves garlic minced
2qt chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
3-4oz fresh basil
Gorgonzola cheese for garnish
salt
white pepper

Rinse your asparagus and cut off the woodsy ends usually about 1inch up from the bottom. Also cut the tips off on a bias and set aside. Pour your stock into a med sized stock pot add the ends of your asparagus to give the stock flavor. Simmer for 30-45 min. Meanwhile get all your other ingredients ready. When you getting your leeks together make sure you clean them really well. Don't just rinse the outsides you have to clean in between each layer. If you do not clean thoroughly your soup will come out with a sandy texture!
Once your stock has simmered for 30 min remove the ends of asparagus and discard. Quickly add the asparagus tips for 1-2 min then remove with a strainer and place in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Place tips on paper towel and set aside. In a large stock pot add some olive oil and heat over med high heat add your shallots and leeks. Cook until translucent. Add your garlic and saute until fragrant about 2 min. Add the rest of your chopped asparagus and saute until soft. Pour in your stock, chopped basil and let simmer for about 15 min. Use an immersion blender and puree your soup until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender use a food processor and blend your soup in stages. Add you salt in pepper to taste and your cream. Garnish your soup with the asparagus tips and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese. 
What a great start this will make to any brunch or Easter dinner! It's a fresh and silky soup, the basil gives it such a brightness it tastes like spring with every bite!
Recipe #2 Roasted Asparagus with a roasted tomato hollindaise and a poached egg:
  This is a simple dish that will impress! You can do this for brunch or a side for dinner. If making as a dinner side just discard the poached egg on top.

1-2lbs fresh asparagus ends trimmed
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
2 Roma tomatoes
1 lemon
4 egg yolks
salt
pepper
olive oil

Pre heat your oven to 400
 Quarter your roasted tomatoes and place on a foil lined baking sheet cut sides up. drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. let roast for 15 minutes.
Melt your butter in a small sauce pan over low heat. Place your egg yolks in a blender with juice from 1/2 your lemon, your roasted tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Blend. With your blender on slowly pour your melted butter in the top of the blender. Continue to blend until your sauce is thick.
Place your Asparagus on a foiled lined baking sheet drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 15-20 minutes. I always turn my asparagus half through. Place on a dish and add your sauce!!!
P.S. When dealing with hollindaise sauce, you can let sit for an hour in a blender before serving but place in a refrigerator if you are not going to serve right away. Add warm water and blend to reconstitute after taking out of fridge.
Happy Eatings everyone!! Happy Easter as well!!!!
    

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog, Krystal. I'm making your asparagus recipes today. I have so many hard boiled eggs left from Easter, that I think I'll slice one on top of the hollandaise. Can't wait to taste it. We both love asparagus. I'll continue to follow. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It occurred to me that you probably don't know that foodie28 is Marcy. Your mom sent me your link and I enjoy reading your blog. Of course, I also love to cook!

    ReplyDelete