Thursday, April 19, 2012

A trip to EATALY in NYC

Last weekend the 3 boys and I packed up our car and headed east. My husband grew up in Jersey City, New Jersey and his sister was getting married. This was a great excuse to take a couple of extra days and go to one special place in NYC that I had been dying to check out EATALY!
Eataly is located at 200 5th Ave New York, NY. I wasn't sure what to expect when I was headed there. When I had checked out their website I saw that EATALY was a market that offered anything and everything that was authentic Italian. You could purchase fresh produce, meats, cheeses, pasta, bread, and even books. They also have a cooking school with classes taught by the one and only Lidia Bastianich. My 3 boys and myself were accompanied by our 2 great friends and their 2 kids who are Jersey City natives and know their way around the big city. Unlike myself who was trying to walk fast, not get hit by a cab, and take pictures all at the same time! My husband kept yelling at me to stop because I looked like a tourist and that just isn't something you want to look like in NY (according to him). So we finally arrived and I walk through one of the entrances (yes there are multiple) and I am hit with the smell of fresh cured meats, that beautiful salty smell. I have never been to Italy but I bet this is what it smells like on the streets there! First you walk through the produce section which has wooden bins filled with garlic, artichokes, lemons, avocados, asparagus, some lovely specialty products like Kumato's which is a purple tomato that resembles kalamata olives except larger.
 Once you get past the fresh produce section you walk into..well an Italian food mecca! It is a small city inside the big city. There are islands of table tops set up throughout the store so you can stop order some wine or a beer and get some food to try. There are also counter tops set up that line different sections of the store and at each counter is a new experience of food. One where you can taste vegetables, one meats and cheeses, pizza's, flatbreads, all together there is 12 different sections that you can get a new flavor of Italy from. Not to mention the actual market inside the market where you can purchase fresh high quality meats that include Razza Piemontese, this is an iconic Italian breed of cattle from which originated in the foothills of Italy. They also sell 100% black Angus beef with no antibiotics, added hormones, or artificial ingredients. As well as pork, lamb, and poultry that are also of highest quality. Fresh baked breads and pasta's. Don't forget about the cheese oh the cheese the way to my heart! The cheese selection is out of control along with the salumi! I could have sat at the cheese and salumi counter with my bottle of Bastianich Sauvignon "B" all day. If you have a sweet tooth head over for some house made gelato, or chocolates, or fresh brewed coffee.
If you think that sounds like a lot just to top things off literally you can go up to the 14th floor for a drink or some food at the rooftop brewery Birreria.
 Not only does Birreria have an amazing atmosphere and beautiful view you might even get lucky and see this guy hanging at the bar!
Oh yea that's celebrity chef and owning partner of Eataly Mario Batali! Did I also mention that we spotted Phillip Semour Hoffman shopping downstairs! What can I say EATALY was an amazing experience. It's a place that makes you inspired. The amount of detail and dedication that was put into that place is remarkable and it really made me want to be a part of it! It should be on the top of anyone's list if visiting NYC you will not be disappointed!
A few take home goodies for myself!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Interestingly, I just read about Eataly a couple of days ago for the first time and now I find out you've been there. So awesome. I'm putting it on my bucket list! Love that you saw Mario there. He's a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of this!
    Thanks:-)

    ReplyDelete